Tuesday, December 28, 2010

December 28, 2010 After-thoughts



This may well be my last blog entry. Above are pictures from Christmas Eve: My daughter Ivy, son Jeremiah and his wife Liz all at my house in Harrisburg, North Carolina. The second photo is the women in Jeremiah's life, decorating the Christmas tree: Ivy, Liz carrying my future granddaughter Malea, and me decorating my beloved Christmas tree, which Jeremiah had up when we came from the airport last week.

I just reread some of my earlier blog entries, and realized how poorly I described the photos I attached during my stay in Ghana. Too late now. . . . I still have no idea why some were huge and others small. Like so many things in life, by the time we understand what we are doing, the task is over.

Some of my initial adjustments back to “Normal America”:
Going out and truly blending in a crowd.
Realizing the hot water knob at the sink will actually get you warm water.
Travelling on a road without bracing for the holes or sudden swerves.
Not needing to put ant chalk around the legs of my bed.
Turning on a light switch and being able to read anywhere in the room, any time of day.
Street signs and maps (they do exist)
Seeing hamburger and not wondering how many bone chips would be in the “minced meat”.
Washing laundry without first checking the water pressure.
Feeling really, really cold (on the airplane). Before taking off I’d  zipped up my windbreaker, snuggled in the flimsy blanket, and wished I put on three pairs of my baggy slacks before boarding.
Realizing I can buy slacks or jeans that really fit (not hiring the local seamstress to make something out of material I bought with no concept of what the clothes would look like). None of my winter clothes fit me since I dropped three sizes from not eating much. I now have basic khaki and black slacks and one pair of jeans. Hurray!
Going  to a grocery store and having options.
Making beef stew and not needing to cook the meat at least four hours before adding vegetables.
Buying eggs in the store and having the yolks be other than pale, pale yellow (almost white).
Baking cookies on big baking sheets and setting the oven at an actual temperature.  Actually being able to fit a large cake pan in the oven is great.
Watching television shows on my computer that are less than six months old (I don’t have a television yet) and not on a DVD.
Being able to call people without first checking if I have any service available.
Taking a shower and letting the water run continuously.
Seeing a cockroach or spider and knowing it can’t hide in any crack in the floor & walls.
Not being glad to see a little lizard in the bathroom, because you don’t need it to eat mosquitos.
Mailing belated Christmas cards and a post office and expecting it to actually get there.
Having a mailbox to expect mail (haven’t gotten any delivered here yet).
Running a humidifier because it’s dry inside a heated house.
Being able to go someplace without walking a mile, finding an overcrowded tro-tro, or haggling with the taxi driver over a price before you even get in. The decadence of having my own car!

And on that note I will thank God for allowing me the opportunity to experience Ghana and return home safely. I hope I can retain some of what I learned about myself and about God's great love for us.
Happy New Year, my friends and family!
As always,  
Diann

No comments:

Post a Comment